Saturday, August 14, 2010

1st 1/2 of orientation: Korea so far

Lecture, lecture, lecture, lunch, lecture, lecture, lecture, dinner, lecture: as such the way some of my days have gone in this whirlwind of an adventure. We've only just begun, and yet I can tell it's going to be quite the winding road, full of pit falls, good times, and lots of 소주.

So far it's been a blast despite how drained I am after lecture after lecture. You just have to grin and bear it for the most part. The dorm rooms are lush but cramped, especially with mine and my roommates giant suitcases littering the space. O.o...so intense.

What's gone down so far? Well, aside from lectures and food, I've met some of the coolest, motley array of people I think I'll ever have the pleasure of meeting again. There are soooo many people worth mentioning, but I'll refrain to keep the creep level of this blog to a minimum. O.o

So, in lectures we've learned how to handle rambunctious kids, teach them through music, drama and magic, learned the need-to-know's for creating lesson plans and the norms of Korean culture. Though usually riveting, they got a little redundant to the point I was beginning to nod off. But do not fret my friends, I persevered.

I've been exploring 조치원 (Jochiwon) as much as I can in my free time with friends. We've gone to 노래방 (Karaoke) and to bars and just walked...a lot. Taxi's are remarkably easier to use than you'd think. As long as you speak slowly, they usually get it. Of course, I like to look up the Korean word for wherever I want to go before doing it. It's safer.

This past weekend I experienced the culturally diverse city of 서울 (Seoul). I say city, but I really only stayed near 합정역(Hapjeong) station where our hostel was. We explored a little bit, but I really cant remember the names of the other stations/streets we went to. But we didn't go too far lest we became directionally challenged.

My experience in 서울 was intense. While me and my friends were having dinner we got front row seats to a fight between four Korean business men who were out having a good time. One pushed the other, another broke a shot glass on his friends head and cut his hand, then some three-on-one action of kicking and punching another guy in a corner. Good times. What was best was when they would hug and be best friends in between these surges of excessive anger and violence. The entire time, blood is staining their white shirts and pristine ties and their scuffing their well shined shoes. I for one was devastated that one of the guys was ruining a fine pair of silver dress pants. Sad, sad day. :D

Aside from that horror-show, the city wasn't bad. Most people were very warm and welcoming to English speaking foreigners. Even if the Korean didn't speak hardly ANY English, as long as you said hello and thank you in Korean, they were game for the charades that ensued when asking for directions, where the bathroom was and what you wanted to order for lunch. I literally pantomimed peeing into a urinal to get some guy to understand what I meant. It works, so don't judge.

I really intend to learn Korean while I'm here. Not that charades aren't fun, it's just a little degrading and a little...umm...ridiculous...yeah, that's the word I want.

The hostel wasn't too bad. Rock hard beds, two bathrooms, 20 + people. What's not to love? Honestly, the place was really safe and I really enjoyed it. Here is a link to the website of the Hostel. It's really safe and the guys are really accommodating. Trust me, you'll like it if you go.

I went to a few clubs, learned a Korean dance move or two (and taught some Koreans a little bit of what Western dancing has to offer), ate a bunch and soon was on the train back home. Honestly, 조치원was a relief. It's so much easier to navigate with significantly fewer people.

So, here we are. I've packed and I'm all ready for English camp where I'll be working with a Korean student for 12 hours a day for 4 days. A lot of people I've talked to are being pretty negative about it, but I'm trying my best to stay positive. I just hope I get a responsive, sweet and adorable kids and not some rowdy little shit who wont at least try to communicate with me. Either way, I'll learn what I'm supposed to do.

It looks like, up to this point, I really enjoy Korea. I'm not sure how long that feeling will last. For now, I'll take it and run with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment