Sunday, April 8, 2012

Peace. Love. Equality.

Time sure flies doesn't it.

Welp, it's been a while since I blogged. It's been nine months since I left South Korea. It's been the same time since I blogged as well.

There was a fight between me and my friends and blogger was one of the methods we used to torment each other. Since then I had a bad impression of blogging so I didn't for quite some time. Alas, here I am.

At length I was debating on what I would write about, but I've decided I'd write about the new discrimination law that's passed the house and is on it's way to the senate. This bill, if passed, will nullify any ordinance or mandate protecting Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered individuals in existence based solely on religious freedom.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm entirely for the practice of religion. Everyone ought to have the right to practice what religion they wish. We live in a "free" society don't we (I'll get into that later)? I didn't realize that my sexual preference detoured anyone from the freedom to practice pre-said religion. However, lawmakers are saying, "Why should I change my religious beliefs for something I find immoral?"

I've been very avid in the rights of the LGBT community, especially since I am a member of that community. If we stay quiet and don't say anything how will anything ever change? Jesus told us to love one another despite ANY differences. Jesus was friends with tax collectors and prostitutes. He loved EVERYONE. We shouldn't pick and choose who we love because God's love is unconditional. If we wish to emulate God we must translate unconditional love. This blog speaks perfectly what I'm talking about.

Facebook is a great way for young people to communicate and get our opinions out there for everyone to see. I've been very verbal about my opinion on human rights on my wall. This is one image I came across on facebook that should enlighten closed minded Christians.



...but I'm not here to change peoples views or beliefs or morals. What I'm trying to get at here is that there are always going to be gay people. There is always going to be people who feel that they are mentally the opposite gender that they were born. There is always going to be women and separate races and (enter minority group here). What's the use of trying to stamp it out or continue in being traditional and not revolutionary? The LGBT community won't go away, so why don't we learn to all live together in peace and not try to change anyone?

If America is known for its freedom then why are the people in control trying to keep it from us? Because not enough of us are speaking out. Nothing will change if it stays the same.

I encourage you to write to members of the senate, the house, your state governors, the president even, that you support HUMAN RIGHTS...because gay rights are still HUMAN RIGHTS.

Don't discriminate. Instead actuate.

Actuate what?

This = Peace. Love. Equality.

Spread the word and make a difference!

EDIT: Here is a link to an article in the Advocate concerning the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment